Friday, July 18, 2014

Week 36

We are ready! All that's missing is our little man!

Well, it has been an interesting week to say the least! Breaking news this week: we had quite the exciting false alarm this past Wednesday! My mom was in town for a few days to help me finish up the nursery (all we have left is hanging the curtains--which is a 2-person job since the window is so huge. So, we are just waiting until my dad can get up here to help) and we are both so glad she was here! We met Daniel for lunch on Wednesday and as soon as he left to go back to work, around 1 pm, I started having contractions. Nothing too crazy, but they were consistently 6-7 minutes apart. We walked around the mall for a while, timing them, and then decided to head back to the house to work in the nursery some more. At 4:00 PM, I called my doctor's office to see what I should do (since I had now been consistently contracting every 5-8 minutes for 3 hours) and they recommended I go up to Labor and Delivery and get checked out. So, I called the hubs, told him not to stress (yeah right) but that when he got home from work we were gonna head to the hospital. While waiting for him, mom helped me clean the kitchen and then I decided I wanted to go for a walk---by this point, I've made up my mind that I'm A-ok with having this baby tonight and I need to do whatever I can to help this move along!

About 5:00 PM or so, mom and I start walking up and down my street. Well, THAT gets those contractions going. I'm talking every 2-3 minutes and definitely picking up in intensity. Daniel gets home, changes clothes and gets Sophie to join us on our walk. About 6:00 PM, we decide we should probably head inside, eat something, pack the hospital bags (just in case I've made great progress and we get to stay!) and then head to Labor and Delivery. We arrive at the hospital about 7:00 PM. At this point I have been contracting for 6 hours VERY consistently. They check me in, and of course the equipment starts acting all wonky. Not to mention, little man won't stop moving around so they can't get a good read on his heartbeat. FINALLY, everything starts working and the nurse checks me.

"You're dialted to a 1," she says.

I'm sorry. Excuse me? You mean to tell me my body has been working this hard for 6 hours and I'm just a measly 1? RUDE.

She leaves and they continue to monitor me for the better part of an hour and a half. Boy, there were a couple of doozies of contractions in there to say the least. She comes back and re-checks me---still a 1.

Dang it!

So, they send me home, saying if my water breaks or they get stronger or closer together to come back. Yeah, Yeah, Ok.

We head back home, I STILL have contractions every 5-8 minutes until midnight. At this point I have been contracting for 11 hours. Yes, you read that right. ELEVEN. I am utterly exhausted and decide I need to sleep. We go to bed and I am able to sleep like a rock (praise the Lord).  I only woke up with an intense contraction 2 times all night and they were very far apart.

I wake up Thursday morning about 9 AM and have contractions every 4-5 minutes for about 2 hours. And then, all of a sudden, they start spacing out until they just stop about 1:00 PM. *sigh*.

Now, I realize I am only 36 weeks pregnant and that it's ok if he cooks in there a bit longer. But I'll be honest, I was really disappointed that he didn't come Wednesday night. I was focused and had myself psyched up and ready to tackle this whole labor and delivery thing and bring him into this world. Not to mention, we were SO incredibly excited to possibly meet our son! So we will just keep waiting! I think chances are pretty good that he will be a July baby :)

Oh, and before I forget, in case you didn't see it on social media, here is a sneak peek of his nursery:

I'm so excited to reveal the whole room! Once the curtains are done, I'll do a post :)

How far along: 36 weeks
Stretch marks: Nope! 
Sleep: Really good. STILL. When I wake up to go to the bathroom, my ribs on the side I've been laying on are SUPER sore, so I typically flip over at this point and snooze the rest of the night. 
Best moment this week: Getting the nursery done! (And it was really fun when we thought we were going to meet our son).
Miss anything: Not having a ball for a stomach. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE being pregnant, but I completely understand when women say they get to a point where it feels like you'll be pregnant forever. I feel like I'll never have a regular stomach again. 
Movement: Oh yeah. Pretty sure he practices karate and kickboxing in there. 
Food cravings: Watermelon! I can't seem to get enough of it. 
Food aversions: None
Labor signs: Um, have you read this post?
Belly button in/out: In
Rings on/off: On (thanks in large part to how cool and mild this summer has been)
Looking forward to: His arrival!!
Development this week: Basically from this point on, all he will be doing is gaining weight and his lungs will continue to develop.

No comments:

Post a Comment